Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The one where Chad talks Futurama


I feel like I'm kind of mailing it in today. I'm sick. I don't want to write. I'm a grown up and I can do what I want. Here is a generally boring post. Stop, no jokes about why that's no different than usual.

One of my favorite comedic techniques is something called "the omni and the caper" (at least that's what I heard on a DVD commentary)
Futurama is king of this. (also the commentary I heard it on)

Take for instance, the episode where Hermes gets demoted and steps onto the ledge to commit suicide. ("How Hermes requisitioned his groove" back Season 2 Episode 24)

paraphrased-
He says he's going to jump
They crew yells NO, DON'T JUMP / It's not worth it etc.
Just as the crowd / omni exclamation is tailing off, Bender says
"Do a flip" for the caper.

The timing is brilliant .

I wish I could figure out how to accomplish it in writing. Or in real life.

*edit* How about that horrible formatting around the image? I love the squishy.

No comments: